Of course, the attack on Bristol Palin is simply a proxy attack on her mother and, by extension, John McCain and his judgement.
The reason that the attack has been so ferocious is less to do with Bristol Palin being pregnant than the fact that Barack Obama’s mind boggling decision to not choose a female running mate is now exposed as first rate political folly.
Not only did Mr Obama not choose Hillary Clinton, which would have given him his best chance at victory, but he didn’t even choose an obvious candidate such as Kathleen Sibelius. Instead, he chose an entrenched Washington lobbycrat in Joe Biden supposedly to counter the argument that he lacks foreign policy experience. By responding to the criticism, Mr Obama demonstrates a lack of confidence in his own foreign policy judgement, which does seem quite at odds with his, and his supporters’, position that he has great judgement because he spoke out against the Iraq War before it started.
That’s exactly the sort of tangle you’ll get yourself into when you have no core beliefs and are simply navigating the most popular route on each issue.
So here are some questions for liberals about Bristol Palin…
- If Bristol chose to have an abortion then would liberals praise her for her decision?
- If Bristol chose to keep the baby but decided to live with the father out of wedlock then would liberals support her decision?
- If Bristol chose to keep the baby and made a public statement that she had different politics to the rest of her family and was supporting Barack Obama then would liberals defend her?
- If, instead of announcing that she was pregnant, Bristol came out and told the world that she was gay then would liberals applaud her courage?
- If Bristol was African-American then would liberals storm to her defence?
However, it is correct to say that both sides of politics have not covered themselves with glory on the issue of teen pregnancy.
When Britney Spears’ untalented sister, Jamie Lynn, announced she was pregnant at the ripe old age of 16 conservative commentators rankled with moral indignation. Meanwhile, liberals shrugged their shoulders, said to leave her alone and were generally supportive.
Now that it’s the daughter of a conservative politician it’s liberals who have taken on the mantle of moral outrage and disgraced themselves in a truly unseemly manner while conservatives have taken the leave her alone, be supportive position.
It does all seem to be a bit backwards.
But, then again, that’s what politics will to do you.